Sunday, June 10, 2012

Weeds!

If I could tell anything in the world to regularly "schtick this," it would be the weeds of this world. I'm not only referring to the actual weeds that grow in my yard in abundance, but I'm speaking of anything that chokes the life out of something else and takes the space in which the good things were meant to grow. I have just come in from pulling a small portion of the nasty buggers -- some hardy strain of clover, I think -- from my yard, and in doing so, I've uncovered the brown, dead grass below. I can only hope that once free from the evil weeds, the lovely grass will revive, but who knows. I'm not very good at maintaining my yard, and now that I'm beginning a  new phase of my life (minus one giant weed), I've made a commitment to do a better job of taking care of everything. The grass is me, and I'm ridding it of all the weeds that prevent it from being as good as it can possibly be.

If you think about it, who couldn't benefit from a weed-free life? And, no, I'm not talking about the kind of weed that one smokes, although it's best to stay away from that as well. What I'm talking about is getting rid of every weed that tries to get a hold on your lush greenness. Yank it out as soon as you can, and be sure to get its root, so it doesn't come back. I know I'm better off already without a certain giant weed that once cast its ugly shadow over my life, and since I'm no longer concentrating on getting rid of the one monster-sized weed, I'm now noticing the other weeds that I barely saw before, and it's time for them to go as well.

Nasty comments from certain "friends" about anybody for any reason at all -- toss them to the curb for the garbage man to pick up with the rest of the trash. Excess weight due to eating wrong and watching too much TV at night with "the big weed" -- eat a lot more fruit, walk every day and write this blog in twenty minutes instead of sitting on my ass on the sofa for three hours. Worries about money -- save a little each month and watch it grow like a beautiful flower. Old friends who  only grew in the shadow of the "big weed" -- plant new friends to fill in the gaps in the lawn.

The world would be a better place to live if all the weeds could be eradicated. Racism, sexism, wars fought over religious beliefs, wars of any kind really, ageism, stereotypes that debase others, animal cruelty, alcoholism, drug abuse, physical abuse, theft, greed, pettiness, stupidity, and many other weeds that choke the otherwise beautiful landscape of our humanity.

This might have become a bit deeper of a blog than I originally intended, but I see symbolism in almost anything, and, to me, a weed that covers and kills what is growing beneath it is something that needs to go just like the things in our lives that cover and kill the good in us need to go. This summer while I work to improve the appearance of my lawn, I will also be working to improve myself. I like who I am, but I know I can be better with some tender loving care. So, "schtick this!" you damn weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment