Monday, July 2, 2012

Shaft and Balls!

Now that I have your attention with my title, you dirty-minded little sicko, let's talk about baton twirling. Yep, that's right -- baton twirling. You know, that long shaft with a ball at either end (and one ball is bigger, just like in real life, right fellas?!).

I've twirled and taught baton for most of my life -- I'd say for about 36 years now. I realize it's a skill most closely linked to either beauty pageants or half-time shows at football games. I've never taken part in either one of those activities, but I've loved to twirl since the first time I wrapped my pudgy five-year-old fingers around that skinny metal shaft.

What is it about twirling a baton that I find so enjoyable? Perhaps it's the fact that I can take a long, hard, non-pliant item and make it do what I want it to do -- unlike the obstinate and non-pliant people I work with.  There is something about a spinning baton as it spins through the air that is beautiful to behold -- the light sparkles off the silver shaft, and the effect can be mesmerizing.

Another thing about twirling a baton is that you come to know the tricks of the trade, and you learn that what looks really complicated isn't all that difficult after all. I find that to be true of most things in life -- sometimes you just have to dive in and find out how something works to realize that you can do it, too. Some of the twirls are very complicated, though, but you don't attempt those until you can do the easier ones with ease.

A baton is metaphorical in other ways as well. If you take it for granted and stop paying attention to what you are doing with it, you will either drop it and look foolish, or you'll smack yourself in the head with it and look even more foolish. The baton needs and demands your full attention.

Learning to twirl a baton is like learning any other valuable skill -- it demands time and dedication. It is a good activity for any young kid; although it is one mostly performed by young girls. It reinforces and develops coordination and dexterity, and it teaches young kids discipline.

When I first picked up a baton as a little girl, I never imagined I'd still be twirling one into my 40s, but I am. Of course, I only do it now as an instructor, but every now and then I admit that I will grab my baton when I'm at home and twirl it around my house. That is until I lose my concentration and smack myself in the head.


No comments:

Post a Comment